We’re absolutely psyched about our new collaboration with producer K-Murdock of Panacea. Beats From The East is a brand new 8-track EP fully inspired and influenced by Japan. It’s K-Murdock’s instrumental homage to the land of the rising sun using samples from his favorite Japanese-born musicians.
K-Murdock: “Beats From The East, like many of my albums, has some conceptual ideas that inspired its creation. It was amazing spending time in Japan, which I consider the nerd mecca since all the things we nerd out about here in the States – video games, anime/manga, and Eastern philosophy all call Japan their home originally. Once I got back from the weekend long tour I did out there last fall, I started realizing that some of my biggest music influences also emanated from Japan, so I decided to make this instrumental homage using samples from seven of my favorite Japanese-born musicians.
Each track also documents an experience I had during my week out in Japan as well. From the whole idea of flying across the globe to visit a whole new country ["Neo Geo"], to walking around Tokyo at night after lots of sake and calpis ["Tokyo Buzz"], to my odes to the many arcades and retro game shops we saw in Akihabara ["Say Hello" & "Thank You For Listening"]. This EP is pretty much an audio diary of my experiences in the land of the rising sun!”
Thanks to Matthew Andres for the cover art and thanks to K-Murdock for releasing this EP exclusively through The Find Magazine.
01. “Tochaku Suru”
02. “Neo Geo” – samples Japanese producer/composer/music vanguard Ryuichi Sakamoto
03. “Close” (Ronin Remix) – samples Japanese jazzfunk fusion band Hiroshima
04. “Tokyo Buzz” – samples Japanese electronic composer Isao Tomita
05. “Brand New Day” – samples Japanese keyboardist/percussionist Stomu Yamashta
06. ”Say Hello” (Bare Knuckle Remix) - samples Japanese video game music composer Yuzo Koshiro
07. “Dreams Come True” - samples Japanese jazz musician Sadao Watanabe
08. “Thank You For Listening” – samples Japanese video game music composer Koji Kondo